10 ways to get really good at Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fast!
Updated: Dec 24, 2022
So... You want to get better at Jiu Jitsu? Do you have someone at your academy that for some reason is getting better faster? Tired of feeling like your plateaued? How about we speed that process up a bit?
Here are 10 proven ways you can get better faster at BJJ!
1. Start by finding a good BJJ training partner and drilling regularly: A good BJJ training partner will help you to learn, develop your technique and practice regularly. If possible, find a more experienced partner who can give you feedback, tips and pointers as you drill new techniques together. This is key to being able to learn how to make better "live" technical decisions.
2. Train consistently: Consistency is key! Make sure that when you train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, do it regularly. The more consistent you are with your training sessions the better progress you'll make in no time! I would say train at least 3-5 times a week if possible.
3. Focus on specific techniques: It's important to focus on mastering specific techniques during each of your BJJ training sessions rather than just trying to learn many different things all at once. Choose one or two techniques that you feel comfortable with and practice them until you are confident in their execution. As well, try and stick to foundational technique. Foundation beats flare.
4. Attend seminars: Attending a BJJ seminar is a great way to learn from more experienced practitioners, gain additional knowledge, and refine your skills quickly. There are black belts that specialize in certain areas for example Leg attacks, guard passing, armbars etc... Its good to attend seminars that fit your game as well as allow you to open doors to new areas of technical work.
5. Watch videos: A great way to learn BJJ fast is by watching instructional videos of high-level Jiu Jitsu practitioners performing specific techniques or positions. You can use this information to help enhance the quality of your own training sessions. Try and follow a few people that may have a similar game! Its great to explore the various details that may help expand your ability to understand how to better your game.
6. Read books/articles related to BJJ: Another great way to improve your skills quickly is by reading books and articles written by experienced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioners. This will help you understand the philosophy behind different positions and techniques, as well as give you a deeper understanding of BJJ overall.
7. DO NOT be afraid to ask for help: It's important to remember that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a complex martial art and it can take some time to master the different positions and techniques. If ever in doubt or need help with something, don't be afraid to ask your training partner or instructor for assistance. If someone taps you with a certain technique perhaps ask them how they pulled it off or how you can defend it.
8. Experiment during rolling sessions: A great way to test out new techniques and positions is by taking part in live rolling sessions with your training partner or your instructor. This will allow you to gain experience in real situations and discover which techniques work best for you in various scenarios. Remember you are in the lab when your on the mat. Try new things and remember, remove your ego and have fun.
9. Keep good records: Keeping track of the different positions, techniques and training sessions you do will help you to monitor your progress and make sure that you are consistently improving. People have been known to keep a journal. Its also known that when you write something down you tend to remember it better.
10. Have fun: Lastly, remember to have fun when training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu! You'll enjoy it much more if you don't take it too seriously and just focus on having a good time!
By following these 10 tips, you can get really good at Brazilian Jiu Jitsu quickly and easily! Remember to train safe and train hard!